Wednesday, August 6, 2008

After the operation…

When I was in the recovery room I felt awful. There were so many people there, and all the beds were just out there with no curtains between them closed. So I could see everyone else. On a slight humorous note. The first thing I vaguely remember was hearing a baby crying. I was then trying to get up to help the baby when I looked around and saw I was in the recovery room. I saw the baby was being cared for and went back to sleep. So I guess my motherly instincts are still intact. I eventually was aware of what was going on at about three PM. The surgery was about 12:05 or at least that is when they wheeled me into the operating room. The anesthesiologist gave the IV in my hand which hurt, but I did my best not to say anything and was actually able to not make a noise. He messed it up and did it a second time and again I just held my breath. After I was still on their meds when I left the hospital at about 3:30 PM. I immediately took a Percocet to keep the pain away. When I got home my parents were with the children in the back yard. They sounded like they were having a lot of fun. I was feeling nauseous and so went to bed. Wish I could have thanked my parents but I felt so sick.

What I really wish is that we didn’t let the health insurance companies rule how the medical world treats its patients. I mean who the heck every decided that a patient that gets general anesthesia should be released that same day? I would think a few days in the hospital would be better than going home. At the hospital I would get three square meals delivered to my bed every day. I would have nurses to give me my meds so I don’t forget and get pain. I wouldn’t have to take care of my children, do laundry, or cook dinner. Ugh!!!!! Why the heck am I “recovering” at home? This is no “recovery” it is more sink or swim. KWIM? I still can’t eat anything more than watermelon and an occasional flavor ice thing. Maybe I will feel better after I can eat something of substance. Right now it gets stuck in my throat. I am also coughing up stuff which doesn’t help at all to feel good.

OK no more crying.

No comments: